LIFEGUARD / SPORTS ASSISTANT
QM Sports Centre – Casual
Queen Mary’s College operates several income generating facilities across its vibrant 25 acre campus, including a leisure centre, theatre and facility lettings. Whilst the college’s primary goal remains its educational objectives there is an opportunity to increase the income and strengthen its reputation from making available its facilities and activities to the wider community. QM Sports Centre is a fully commercial facility open to students and the wider community. It comprises a fully equipped fitness suite, 23 metre 4 lane swimming pool, 630sqm sports hall built to specialist standards for basketball and netball with 4 badminton courts. This is accompanied by a 3G pitch and an all-weather pitch, football and rugby pitches and a gymnasium available principally for aerobics, dance, martial arts classes, and room hire.
The ideal applicant for this role is someone who has experience of lifeguarding or has recently gained a formal lifeguarding qualification wishing to enhance their CV and professional skills. By rota, the successful candidates will work as an appointed lifeguard during public swimming sessions. The candidate must be available to work evenings and weekends.
• A current NPLQ or equivalent lifeguarding qualification is required
• The ability to use initiative and pay attention to detail
• Good communication skills
• Previous experience of working in a leisure centre and swimming pool facility would be beneficial
As this work involves working with young people all successful candidates will be required to undertake a DBS check.
Accountable to: Commercial Operations Manager, Duty Manager or Supervisor as appropriate
• To lifeguard swimming sessions, ensuring safety of all users
• Enforce swimming rules and regulations to prevent injury
• To administer basic first aid
• To maintain the cleanliness of the swimming pool facility and rest of the building
• Assist in equipment set-ups around the building
• To ensure all health and safety procedures and policies are being observed at all times
• To instruct and/or coach activity/sporting sessions as and when required
• To advise customers on how to best use facilities and equipment
• To carry out any other duties requested by Duty Managers and the Centre Manager
Salary: £9.64 per hour (Point 3 of the Support Staff pay scale)
Queen Mary's College is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment.We particularly welcome applications from under represented groups including ethnicity, gender, transgender, age, disability, sexual orientation or religion.